Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Thoughts

Well, it's 8:15, and I've been thinking I should do a blog post...maybe every week I'll do at least one. The topic of the day: Apple

I just downloaded the keynote address from Macworld 2009, and there's one thing that's bugging me. It's the overriding sense that you can tell what Apple's trying to do (their marketing strategy). It's just been more noticeable lately.
If you look at the language that the speaker uses, several words pop up very frequently:

It's very COOL, EASY, BEAUTIFUL, SIMPLE, Just Great, AMAZING!!

It's like anytime they needed an adjective, they chose one off a list of company approved words. Now, I'm not saying this is bad...any company tries to get people to buy into their own reality, it's advertising. Apple's target audience is young to middle age people who are obviously tech-savy, as well as new consumers looking for something EASIER than regular systems. However, you should be aware that they're trying to get you to buy into their fantasy world of perfect, slick, innovation. It's almost like Disney in a way.

I'm not trying to bash Apple products (I am a ipod lover, and I'm looking forward to getting a macbook and an ipod touch, hopefully), which most of the time do what they say. Maybe I'm just trying to caution myself from becoming an Apple fanboy, spending loads of money on each new thing that comes out.

Someone should do a study on how technology is affecting how we think...it would show some interesting information.

In other news, Scrubs was back yesterday. It was pretty good, and people I know who have followed it for a long time said it was a return to form. By the way, it's exactly 2 weeks til LOST comes back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe I should start doing TV reviews?

If anyone is reading this, what do you think about Apple's marketing strategy?

No comments: