Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Sunday, January 18, 2009
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
So, today's site is http://tiltshiftmaker.com/photo-processing.php . With it, you can make your own tilt-shift photographs.
What is a tilt-shift photograph? Well, to get the answer, lets go to Wikipedia:
Tilt-shift photography refers to the use of camera movements on small- and medium format cameras. In many cases, it refers to tilting the lens relative to the image plane and using a large aperture to achieve a very shallow depth of field. The technique relies on the Scheimpflug principle and usually requires the use of special lenses.
This concept can be duplicated by selectively making an image out of focus, which is called miniature faking. http://tiltshiftmaker.com/photo-processing.php can help you do this to make pretty cool pictures of landscapes and environments.
Saturday, January 10, 2009
Wednesday, January 7, 2009
I just downloaded the keynote address from Macworld 2009, and there's one thing that's bugging me. It's the overriding sense that you can tell what Apple's trying to do (their marketing strategy). It's just been more noticeable lately.
If you look at the language that the speaker uses, several words pop up very frequently:
It's very COOL, EASY, BEAUTIFUL, SIMPLE, Just Great, AMAZING!!
It's like anytime they needed an adjective, they chose one off a list of company approved words. Now, I'm not saying this is bad...any company tries to get people to buy into their own reality, it's advertising. Apple's target audience is young to middle age people who are obviously tech-savy, as well as new consumers looking for something EASIER than regular systems. However, you should be aware that they're trying to get you to buy into their fantasy world of perfect, slick, innovation. It's almost like Disney in a way.
I'm not trying to bash Apple products (I am a ipod lover, and I'm looking forward to getting a macbook and an ipod touch, hopefully), which most of the time do what they say. Maybe I'm just trying to caution myself from becoming an Apple fanboy, spending loads of money on each new thing that comes out.
Someone should do a study on how technology is affecting how we think...it would show some interesting information.
In other news, Scrubs was back yesterday. It was pretty good, and people I know who have followed it for a long time said it was a return to form. By the way, it's exactly 2 weeks til LOST comes back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe I should start doing TV reviews?
If anyone is reading this, what do you think about Apple's marketing strategy?
Friday, January 2, 2009
I haven't updated for a very long time, now...I plan to start doing this more often once school ends and I know what college I'm going to next year. So here are some random thoughts on what I'm looking forward to this year:
- LOST!!!!! Jan 21st on ABC at 8:00. I've been keeping busy by following along with the Dharma/Ajira Airways ARG, reading fanfiction (JWLost !!) and rewatching episodes.
- Watchmen: I just reread this, and it reminded me how awesome it is. Bad news about the Fox lawsuit, though.
- I've been seeing lots of movies lately-The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Frost/Nixon, and Valkyrie were my holiday movies of choice, and they were all pretty good in their own ways. I just saw Deja Vu on DVD, as well as about 5 James Bond movies.
Why are there so many movies that are 3 hours long nowadays? Very rarely do any of them keep my full attention the whole time. If you want to make a movie that long, it should have enought action to involve the viewer, or else it ultimately drags (I'm saying this in reference to Benjamin Button, which, though very good, was too damn long).
- This is the first Winter break where I've had no homework, so I'm pretty happy about that.
- Alan Moore comics have been getting progressively weirder chronologically (I just read The Black Dossier).
- Fringe is back January 20, which is also Inauguration Day. And Lost is the next day. And then I get to go on vacation!!
- Scrubs will hopefully be better this season.
That's all for now!
Have a great new year!!!